Living Accommodations

Graduate Student Housing
The University owns and operates numerous apartment buildings located around and within the campus area. Graduate students who are single, married or in a domestic partnership, and who are enrolled full-time are eligible to live in Graduate Student Housing. Apartment sizes range from studios to large three bedroom apartments, furnished or unfurnished, in walk-up, or elevator buildings. Parking lots are available at some buildings. Options for single students include single occupancy and shared apartments. Couples with children are given priority for the two- and three-bedroom apartments. Inquiries should be addressed to Residential Properties, 5100 S. Dorchester Ave., Chicago, IL 60615, 773.753.1332. For property comparison information, visit

Private Housing
The private housing market in the neighborhood around the University is generally very tight. Students interested in private housing should plan to look for accommodations well in advance of the start of school. The University does not have an off-campus housing office, nor does it maintain listings of inspected and approved private housing. Students who prefer housing outside the University system must come to Chicago to secure accommodations—it is virtually impossible to obtain private housing by telephone or through the mail.