For International Students

International applicants, whether attending an undergraduate institution in the United States or a college or university in their own country, follow regular application procedures as outlined in the Master's application procedures or the Doctoral application procedures, except for the following:

  1. Education. The student from another country is expected to have a baccalaureate-level degree or its equivalent, to have completed social work training in the home country, and/or to have had work experience in a social agency before applying for admission to the master’s program. Exceptions are occasionally made when the individual is currently completing undergraduate education in this country.

  2. Application Fee. All international applicants are required to pay an application fee of $75 United States dollars, by bank draft or postal money order. This fee is most easily paid online with a credit card as part of the application process. Personal checks are acceptable only if written by a United States bank. This fee is an official requirement for admission, and international governments will approve the release of funds for this purpose.

  3. Transcripts. Academic credentials, including courses taken, grades received, and degrees granted, are accepted in digitized or scanned format and may be uploaded directly to the application at the time of submission. Please note: scanned and digitized transcripts must be accompanied by official grading or credit system information. Official transcripts may also be sent directly to the School, attention of Sarina Carrillo, Admissions Specialist, at 969 East 60th St., Chicago, IL 60637. Copies in the applicant's possession may be acceptable if they have been certified by the proper school authorities. Applicants may not validate their own documents. The class or division of the degree must be stated if this is the customary method of reporting the quality of academic work. Applicants must also submit a notarized translation of the credential.

  4. Financial Plan. Once an international applicant has been granted admission, the applicant must submit a financial statement, itemizing sources of funds for maintenance and transportation, and must provide documented proof (certification by a bank or subsidizing agency or agent) of resources sufficient for their support during the two years. It is estimated that educational and living expenses, exclusive of travel to and from the student's home country, approximate $78,866 for one year of study for a master's student. 

  5. Financial Aid. Applicants who need financial assistance are advised to explore possibilities in their home country and from United States government sources. Information about the latter may often be obtained from a United States consulate or information service office. The Institute of International Education, One East 67th Street, New York, NY 10021, also provides information about scholarship opportunities. The University of Chicago provides information on non-Federal alternative loan funds for international students who meet the relevant requirements and have an eligible co-signer. Information can be found on the Graduate Financial Aid website.

  6. Use of English. Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take an English language proficiency examination.The minimum required score for the TOEFL is 104 overall (IBT) with a sub score of 26 in each category. The minimum required score for the IELTS is 7 overall, with sub scores of 7 in each category. Check the TOEFL and IELTS sites for more information about the test. The results of the test will be sent to the University by the Testing Service. Applications will not be given final consideration until the results of the test have been received. The University of Chicago Institutional Code for TOEFL is 1832; the department code for SSA is 95.

    The English language requirement may be waived if the applicant is a native of or studied in full-time status for at least one academic year within the last five years in the U.S., the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or English medium universities in Canada or South Africa. Students who studied in English in other countries, for example, Ghana, India, Pakistan, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc., are not exempt from the English Language requirement.

    Note to graduates of the University of Puerto Rico: As the language of instruction is not English, graduates of the University of Puerto Rico will be required to take the TOEFL examination. 

  7. Additional documents may be required at the request of the admissions committee.