- 48112 Community Organizing
Organizer for several organizations in the Boston area. Issues of focus included labor, welfare rights, forest protection, and support for undocumented immigrants.
Prevention Case Manager, Youth on Fire, drop-in center for homeless and marginally housed youth.
Social Science Research Analyst, Administration for Children and Families, an agency for the federal Department of Health and Human Services.
Fields of Special Interest
- Social movements
- Community organization
- Definitions of community, group identity formation/maintenance
- Borus, M. (2015). “Joy and Justice,” review of Review of Community Projects as Social Activism: From Direct Action to Direct Services, by Benjamin Shepard. Shelterforce 36 (4), p. 49.
- “Whose Empowerment? Professionalism vs. Independent Living.” Poster presentation at Society for Social Work Research annual conference, January 2018 (pending).
- “Picking Through the Rags: Archival Research On A Grassroots Disability Publication.” Presentation at University of Chicago Disability Studies Working Project Roundtable, May 2017
- “Ragged Subjectivity: Liberal, Neoliberal, and Defiant Conceptions of Disability Activism.” Presentation to University of Chicago Disability Studies Reading Group, May 2016.