SSA is one of the few graduate schools of social work with its own Office of Career Services, and we encourage you to think of career preparation as an integral part of our rigorous curriculum. We will work with you to match your education, experience, and aspirations with rewarding work in a growing number of fields.
Soon after starting your program, read through the entire Career Services section of the website as it will help you to get started on career planning. You should then contact Michael Jogerst, assistant dean and director of career services, at 773.702.1173 or by email to set an appointment.
Tips for planning a career
- Do your research on what skills and knowledge base are required for that path. Take a look at current job postings to learn about what employers are looking for in a job candidate.
- Meet and/or learn about alumni or other practioners in that field and do informational interviews with them on a regular basis BEFORE you start a job search.
- Network. Network. Network.
- Always have an excellent, updated resume and cover letter.
- Acquire very good interviewing skills.
Here's what we offer to help you plan your career:
- Quarterly workshops on the job search process
- Job/internship search
- Skills assessment and identification
- Resumes and cover letters
- Peer mentoring between first and second year students
- Gallup StrengthsQuest™
- IL Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers (NASW)
- Professional licensure requirements
- Post-master’s fellowship opportunities
- Presidential Management and Human Rights Fellowship awardees
- Employer presentations
- Career Fair
- Survey data and information is available about summer opportunities
- “Preparing Your Resume” online videos
- Grad Guide Weekly e-newsletter from UChicago Grad offers professional development workshop information, fellowship and publishing opportunities, social events and lectures, and more.
- More than 1,000 recent SSA graduates available for informational interviews
- Alumni panels on clinical, administration, and school social work careers
- Informal meetings with alumni to discuss field placements, concentration selections, and career options
- Social and networking events hosted with the SSA Alumni Association
- A Summer Shadow program with SSA alumni
Job/Internship Outreach Service
Career Services seeks listings from a variety of sources. Jobs and internships are posted weekly online and are available to all SSA students and alumni.