SSA makes every effort to help students by offering exceptional scholarship assistance as well as facilitating other forms of financial assistance. Each year, SSA awards scholarships that range from full to partial tuition. Last year, 95 percent of master's students received merit- and need-based tuition scholarship/gift aid. The Schedule of Fees and Estimate of Expenses do not include scholarships or other forms of financial assistance, so the difference between the total amount listed and the amount a student might pay may be less.
| ||Tuition per quarter||Tuition per year|
|Full-Time AM Program (3 courses)||$15,321||$45,963|
|Part-time Day and EEP Programs (2 courses)||$10,953||$32,859|
|1 AM Program course||$6,345||$19,035|
|PhD Scholastic Residence||$15,321||$45,963|
|PhD Advanced Residence||$6,059||$18,177|
Estimate of Expenses
An estimate of expenses that a student in the full-time master's program or doctoral student in scholastic residence will incur during the course of the 2016-17 school year (based on a nine-month budget with a modest standard of living) is as follows:
|Student Life Fee||$1,128|
|One-time Lifetime Transcript Fee||$60|
|University Student Health Basic Insurance Plan (student only)||$3,432*|
|Room & Board||$14,130|
|Books & Supplies||$1,785|
|Commuting to and from field placement (includes CTA U-Pass fee for three quarters)||$2,337|
Total for a single student
* Amount subject to change.
Return to Top
Schedule of Fees
All payments of tuition and fees must be completed by the due date indicated on the bill from the Office of the Bursar. If a student has not paid any account in full that is due to the University by the end of the billing cycle, restriction of further privileges or services may follow.
- Application fee: $75
(This fee must accompany the original online application for admission to the University. No part of this fee is either refunded or applied as an advance payment on other fees.)
- CTA (Chicago Public Transportation) U-Pass (for students in full-time programs only; per quarter for 3 quarters): $100
- Advance reservation deposit: $250
(Credited to Autumn quarter tuition)
- University Student Health Insurance Plan (U-SHIP) (per quarter for 3 quarters):
- Basic Plan (student only): $1,144*
- Basic Plan + 1 Dependent (spouse/domestic partner/child): $2,288
- Basic Plan + 2 or more Dependents (spouse/domestic partner, children): $3,415
- Student Life fee (each quarter): $386
- Dependent Life Fee (assessed each quarter - a dependent spouse, domestic partner, or dependent child age 14 and older is insured through U-SHIP) per quarter: $295
- Special service fee:
- One-time Lifetime Transcript Fee: $60
- Late fees:
- Late payment of fees: $100
- Late registration: $100
- Change in registration: $50.
(A fee is charged for each change in registration made by a student after the officially scheduled change period (fourth week of quarter) unless caused by the University.)
- Pro Forma status fee (per quarter): $330
Students enrolled in a degree program may audit, without extra charge, classes in addition to those for which they are registered, subject to the approval of the instructor in each case. Under these conditions the students are not registered for the courses, and work is not made a part of their official records.
Students who are required to withdraw for disciplinary reasons shall not be entitled to any refund of tuition or fees.
Tuition, fees, and other charges are subject to change.