Join the SSA Alumni Association Board of Directors
Nomination and Selection Process
Nomination forms are accepted on a rolling basis for the 2018-2020 Alumni Board term.
Nomination forms: Alumni Board Job Description
Nomination forms should be accompanied by the following supporting materials:
- Personal Statement
- Current resume or CV
At least two letters of reference - one must be from an SSA alumnus, student, or faculty member
All SSA alumni are encouraged to apply for board membership. In particular, if you have expertise and interest in:
Board Development (recruitment, training, evaluation)
Community building, outreach, or engagement
Special events (planning and implementing)
Communication and marketing
A selection committee of Board members and non-Board members will review and select candidates to fill openings on the Board and an alternate. Once the selection process is complete, candidates are notified of their status.
Candidates who are not selected are strongly encouraged to participate on the SSA Alumni Association Committees and reapply for the next term.
Send nomination materials to:
SSA Recruitment Committee:
School of Social Service Administration
The University of Chicago
969 East 60th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
Questions? Please contact email@example.com
SSA Alumni Association Board of Directors: Call for Nominations!
Here are five good reasons to apply to become a member on the SSA Alumni Board of Directors:
1. Professional Development Opportunities. Being on the Alumni Board provides valuable and transferable experiences in leadership, project development, public speaking, negotiation skills, and much more. As an added perk, Board Members receive one free workshop a year from the SSA Professional Development Program (PDP) Program!
2. Networking Opportunities. Are you looking to expand your professional network? The SSA Alumni Board brings together SSA alumni from all facets of social work in various stages of their careers. Joining the Board is a great way to meet people outside of your current pool of connections.
3. Opportunity to Help Students. Do you have valuable advice you want to share? Is there something you wish you had known as a student? Join the Board and have a hand in preparing our next generation of social workers! SSA students truly value the professional and personal advice and support given by alumni.
4. Opportunity to Give Back to SSA. SSA Alumni Association Board Members are stakeholders in the ongoing development of programs, student activities, and community outreach that enhance the School's mission. A great way to give back while honing your skills and/or developing new skills is through the work of our nine SSA Alumni Association Board Committees. These committees are described on our website at this link: http://www.ssa.uchicago.edu/alumni-association-committees. Board Members provide a bridge between the alumni community and the School in order to promote the School’s goals and objectives.
5. Be Part of the SSA Vision. Becoming an SSA Alumni Association Board Member would give you the opportunity to be an integral part of the forward progression of the School's Vision. SSA is making strides to become a global leader in social work education, practice and research, and continues to create philanthropic venues to strengthen the SSA Endowment Fund for future leaders in the field.
Click on the link below for details on how to become an SSA Alumni Association Board Member. Application deadline is Monday, May 1, 2017:
For further questions, feel free to email and/or call Loretta Maestranzi, SSA/GPHAP 2014, and current Recruitment Chair on the SSA Board of Directors at:
Loretta.Maestranzi@ gmail.com and/or 773-329-3828.
Accomplishments of the SSA Alumni Board of Directors, 2016-2017
- Our Strategic Plan: We are in the second year of the current strategic plan that is in alignment with the SSA Mission. Our top three priorities of the plan are as follows:
- Connectivity: Across the country, create opportunities for personal connection focused on leadership, quality and excellence for alumni as well as with students.
- Advancement: Uphold and advance SSA’s position as the leader in the field worldwide.
- Development: Partner with the school and visiting committee to build capacity for student scholarship fundraising efforts.
- SSA Alumni Survey Executed: Collaboration of the Executive, Networking and Professional Development, and Communication Committees to execute a “Voice of the Customer” survey to determine SSA Alumni needs and preferences. Executed, collected, and analyzed 1200 responses. As the direct result of survey findings that reflect our top three priorities of our Strategic Plan, the Board is making a concerted effort to connect SSA Alumni via email, the SSA Magazine, the SSA electronic newsletter “MeSSAges,” and via social media.
- First Annual Planning Process: The SSA Alumni Board of Directors created transparency around budgeting process and plans. Board Committee structure was realigned to more effectively carry out the SSA Mission. Full details on our committee work can be found at: http://www.ssa.uchicago.edu/alumni-association-committees
- SSA Alumni Association Representation on SSA’s “Committee on Inclusion, Equity and Diversity.” SSA Alumni have gained a permanent seat on this committee via SSA Alumni Board of Directors representation. Along with other major SSA stakeholders, SSA Alumni are engaged with the school on issues of diversity and inclusion through this representation.
- A Full Board of Directors: For FY17, our Recruitment Committee filled all three vacancies to make up a full Board of 19 Members.
- Strengthening of Partnerships with the School: Increased partnerships with the school, the faculty liaison, and the SSA Visiting Committee. Our newly formed Fund and Development Committee collaborated with the Visiting Committee to fundraise for the school.
Overarching Goals of the SSA Alumni Board of Directors for Next Year
- Expand on the Pursuit of our Three Strategic Priorities
- Extrapolate Alumni Survey Findings to Effectively Serve SSA Alumni
- Determine Strategy for Fundraising that Better Aligns with Connectivity Priority
- Build Upon Partnerships with Fellow SSA Stakeholders