The SSA library located on the School’s first floor is one of SSA’s outstanding educational resources. The library’s collection covers all aspects of social services and social work, as well as related material from other disciplines. It contains approximately 40,000 volumes, including books, journals and reference works. Reserve readings for SSA classes are located here.
The Library provides online access to thousands of ejournals and ebooks as well as hundreds of databases. Computer workstations are available in the Library, which provide access to all of our online resources as well as various software products to assist you with your research.
The staff of the SSA library are available to help researchers locate appropriate materials in the SSA library and elsewhere in the University Library System. The SSA Librarian can also provide research consultations and assistance with citation management tools upon request.
Alumni can now access thousands of journal articles, book chapters from off campus
University of Chicago alumni are now able to access five important research databases and thousands of publications from any off-campus computer with an Internet connection. These electronic resources for alumni are being provided by the University of Chicago Alumni Association and the University of Chicago Library.
The Library is providing alumni access to thousands of journal articles, book chapters and other materials through Project MUSE and SAGE Journals Online:
- Project MUSE is a full-text database of more than 100 scholarly journals published by university presses in the humanities, social sciences and mathematics.
- SAGE Journals Online offers peer-reviewed journals in business, humanities, social sciences, sciences, technology and medicine published by SAGE Publications and participating societies. Dates of coverage and access to backfiles vary by journal. To verify availability of specific journals, search the eJournals list or ask a librarian.
The University of Chicago Alumni Association is providing alumni access to thousands of publication archives through EBSCO host:
- EBSCO Academic Search – Alumni Edition offers full-text access to more than 2,600 scholarly journals and indexing of thousands more.
- EBSCO Business Source – Alumni Edition offers full-text access to more than 1,300 scholarly business journals and indexing of thousands more. It also includes country economic reports, company profiles and backfiles of many journals.
- Articles Plus – Alumni Edition brings together content from EBSCO databases, Project MUSE, SAGE Journals Online and other sources to facilitate discovery across a range of subject areas. It lists full-text articles available to alumni, as well as articles available for purchase or available in person in the University of Chicago Library.