- 41212 Intersectional Approaches to Social Work with LGBTQIA Individuals and Communities
- Program Officer, Third Wave Fund
- Deputy Director, Illinois Caucus for Adolescent Health
- Freelance Educator and Nonprofit Consultant
- Reproductive Justice LAMP Program Consultant, National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum
- OUT For Safe Schools Education & Curriculum Consultant, CPS Office of Student Health & Wellness
- LGBTQ Safe Zone Trainer, Erikson Institute
- Adjunct Instructor, UIC Jane Addams College of Social Work
- Research Assistant, Healthy Little Lives Project, RTI International
- Program Coordinator, TEAM Youth & Family Services
- Case Manager, Trillium Health (formerly AIDS Rochester)
Fields of Special Interest
- Youth Development and Youth-Adult Partnerships
- LGBTQ Identities, Development, and Practice
- Reproductive Health, Rights, and Justice
- Participatory Action Research
- Empowerment Evaluation
- Sexuality Education
- HIV/AIDS Treatment and Prevention
- Community Organizing and Coalition Building
- Qualitative Research
- Curriculum Development
- Policy Advocacy and Analysis
- Grassroots Fundraising and Development
- Nonprofit Administration
- Public Health Social Work
Publications or presentations
- Hearns, E, Messinger, JL, & Vaj, K. (Oct 2015). Connecting Women, Gender Violence, Economic Justice, and Community-Based Policy Change. Panel Discussion. Women of Color Network Economic Policy and Leadership Midwest Regional Convening, Chicago, IL.
- Messinger, JL. (Aug 2015). Safe and Supportive Environments for LGBTQ Students. Professional Development Workshop. Presented as part of Chicago Public Schools Office of Social and Emotional Learning Summer Institute, Chicago, IL.
- Messinger, JL. (July 2015). Introduction to Reproductive Justice, Sexual Health, and Disabilities. Workshop. Presented as part of IL Imagines 40-Hour Sexual Violence Reponse Training for People with Disabilities, Chicago, IL.
- Nzinga-Johnson, S, Messinger, JL, & Mostiller, B. (Mar 2015). Reproductive Justice for All: Women of Color at the Forefront of the Reproductive Justice Movement. Panel Discussion. Presented as part of University of Illinois at Chicago Campus Advocacy Network Women’s History Month Programming, Chicago, IL.
- Zaleski, N., Martin, P, & Messinger, JL. (2014). Given and chosen: Youth-led research on family-supported conversations about sexuality. Family and Community Health, 38(1), 131-140.
- Messinger, JL. (Apr 2013). It’s Not Just a Phase: Understanding Bisexual Identity and Supporting Students Along the Continuum. Guest Lecture. Lavender Lecture Series, Chancellor’s Committee on the Status of LGBTQ People and Allies, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- Messinger, JL. (2012). Anti-bisexual violence and practitioners’ roles in prevention and intervention: An ecological and empowerment based approach in public health social work. Journal of Bisexuality, 12(3), 360-375.
- Messinger, JL. (2012, Aug). What do we want? When do we want it? A reproductive justice needs assessment of API women and girls in Chicago. New York: National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum.