- 44501 Clinical Research: Using Evidence in Clinical Decision Making
Associate Executive Director, Juvenile Protective Association
Over 30 years of experience in child welfare and mental health, as an administrator, therapist, evaluator, teacher, trainer, and consultant
10 years lecturing at SSA, teaching clinical research
15 years at Chapin Hall, focusing on program evaluation and decision making
Fields of Special Interest
- Program evaluation in child welfare, mental health, child abuse prevention
- Clinical decision making and research in mental health and child protection
- Engagement and retention of clients in services
- Innovative program design
- Quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Clinical theory, especially regarding theories of change and the nature of therapeutic relationships and their impact on outcomes
- Child therapy
- Ethics in clinical practice
Publications or presentations
- Budde, S. & Thompson, R. (June 2015). High Rates of Psychiatric Rehospitalization among Children in Care: Research Findings and Practice Implications. Presentation at One Child, Many Hands: A Multidisciplinary Conference on Child Welfare at the University of Pennsylvania: Philadelphia, PA.
- Budde, S., Waters, J., & Walsh, W. (June 2015). Improving access to mental health services for sexually abused children: Findings and lessons from the Chicago CAC. Presentation at National Children’s Alliance Leadership Conference: Washington, DC.
- Budde, S., Whittington-Eskridge, M., & Evans, S. (March 2015). Investigating abusive head trauma cases: Highlighting recent court rulings and implications for practice. Pilot training developed and conducted for Illinois DCFS child protection investigators: Peoria, IL.
- Budde, S. Savas, T., and subcommittee members (October 2014). Differential Response Child Welfare Advisory Committee (CWAC) Subcommittee Report. Submitted to DCFS Acting Director Bobbi Gregg.
- Budde, S. & Waters, J. (May 2014). Increasing engagement and retention in mental health services for child victims of sexual abuse. Presented at National Center on Child Abuse and Neglect Conference in New Orleans, LA.
- Budde, S. (April 2013). Failure to thrive cases and the use of individualized growth charts to inform child death review investigations. Presentation by invitation to Illinois Child Death Review Team Symposium: Springfield, IL.
- Budde, S. (March 2013). Promising findings from a retrospective evaluation of inner humanism psychotherapy outcomes for children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Presentation to Intrapsychic Humanism Society: Chicago, IL.